Sunday, March 02, 2014

Gasparilla Fine Arts Craft Festival.....Oh My!!!!!!!!

My friend, Collin, says that I act like a crack addict when I am around good arts and craft. I do not know if I do or not but I have to admit that I get an artistic high so much so that I can not function.  I think a lot of it is because I love talking to the artist about their work and reading their artist statements about how the work is created.

Today I went to the 44th Raymond James Gasparilla Arts and Craft Festival in Tampa.   $75,000 in prize money was awarded to the Best Rising Stars and Accomplished Stars. $29,900 was award to 23 artists for Awards of Merit. Some artists won Purchase awards from $100 to $1500, the total payout for this award was $17,150. Purchase awards is a community commitment to purchase art at the festival.  The sponsors are committed to spend a designated amount to purchase original artwork at the festival. I saw fiber, glass, jewelry, mixed media, painting, photography, printmaking, sculpture, watercolor, wood, and ceramic pieces. There was even an Emerging Artists section for those new artists trying to get exposure in high quality shows.

Thought you might want to see some of the beautiful artwork.  I will begin with the chalk art.  I just can't get enough of it.





Then my friend Jean and I posed for pictures:

 Then the fun began.... it was time to see the artists.  There were 250 booths but it felt like more since the sun was blazing.

When you initially look at this art piece you only see a bunch of dots.  However, this is what you see thru the camera lens. Amazing!

 How about art made from vinyl coated wire.

Or glass sculptures that cost $12,000

There was also music. These artists were called "Serotonic".

and lots of people as you can see in the background.

I did make a purchase, just have to get them framed.



Still have one more post to do to get caught up... I am getting there!

No comments: