Wednesday, July 13, 2016

I Love the Santa Fe area

DAs soon as we got settled at the Elks Lodge, we headed to the yarn store called Yarn and Coffee.  Found out that they had a sit n knit later that day so we went back to our RV's to get our knitting so we could join the group.
The owner showed us this great yarn holder.  I liked it because I have never seen any but the ceramic yarn bowls that would only get broken in my RV
Got to find a friend with tools and knows how to use them to make me one.

The next day we explored Taos.  What great fun checking out the shops.  I wanted to go to Southwest Weaving that is in Arroyo Seco which is 6 Miles outside Taos.  I was disappointed the shop was so small after reading about it all these years.

On the way to the shop, Jean saw a metal sculpture gallery that looked interesting called Bareiss Gallery.

We also stopped at the little shops along the road, one had a When Pigs Fly sculpture 

Back in Taos, we had lunch and Jean forced me to buy a pair of pants and a top in one shop.  We went in to La Lana Wools yarn shop and saw this

Outside the shop in the courtyard was a sculpture entitled 'Friendship'.  We had to take a picture there.


Every year Taos has an event called Arte De Descartes.  This annual show gathers contemporary folk and fine artist together to celebrate the creative vision of reusing and recycling materials that might otherwise have landed in the landfill or floated out to sea.  This dress made from a movie billboard is an example

On the way back we saw Camel Rock.  Jean can not see the camel.  Can you?

Jean was fascinated at the colorful overpasses and sound barriers

While we were at knitting, the ladies told us about the International Folk Arts Festival that was being held over the weekend of July 9-10.   We made plans to go.  Boy was it worth the trip.

There were 166 artist from 60 countries .  The artist keep 90 percent of their sales.  For some artist that only make $3 a day  normally, this one weekend sales will keep their families or village going for a year or more.  The work we saw ranged from affordable to museum quality masterpieces.  Some of the artist were celebrated cultural artist but others had never left their villages, let alone crossed an ocean.  We saw jewelry, beadwork on clothing that was amazing , basketry, glasswork, metalwork, paintings, sculpture, textiles, musical instruments and so much more.

First I will show you what I got....
I have always hated it that you cannot see my stain glass window when the door is open because of the slide.  I saw the work of Serge Jolimeau from Haiti.  He recycles oil drums.  After flattening the drums, he uses hammers and chisels to mold the metal into fantastical designs incorporating Vodou symbols and deities.  I saw this Tree of Life that I knew would work on my screen door.  The stain glass colors reflects on the art work when the sun is just right.
Vodou in Haiti is a religion that believes in a distant and unknowable Supreme Creator, Bondye.  Bondye does not intercede in human affairs, thus they direct their worship toward spirits

I also wanted another kite to go over my bed and found this one 

Jean and I outside the booth I brought the kite

Walking around the festival was a feast for the eyes

This lady was from Peru.  She burned designs onto gourds.

From Uzbekistan, I found this lovely work and one of the artisans.

I forgot to write down the country of this lady but loved her costume.  The gentlemen was demonstrated how they made the beautiful art

The dancers from the National Institute of Flamenco

and Mexican traditional dance

We heard music  from Malaysian Borneo and Hungarian folk, Malian  and song repertoire if the Balkans.  

The festival was two days but I was only able to go on Saturday.

This is a map of the festival

On Sunday, we headed to a lavender festival in Abiquiu at the Purple Adobe Lavender Farm.  I so wanted to pick some edible lavender to make lavender flavored lemonade.  I had some while visiting a lavender farm in Oregon.  On the way to the farm,  we stopped at a flea market but it was almost empty.  There was one interesting vendor that painted faces on paintbrushes and charged quite a bit.


Since there was nothing to see at the flea market we head on to the farm which took us  through Espanola.  People were beginning to sat out chairs and park up down the street.  Jean asked what was going on and we were told that there was to be a parade and it would end at a fiesta down the street.  We decided to go get brunch and then find a spot to watch the parade.  Afterwards we would go to lavender farm and come back to go to the fiesta.
There were floats and politicians handing out water.

Classic cars

Off we went to the lavender farm after the parade.  They did not have lavender lemonade or edible lavender to buy.  I did get some lavender sugar to see if I could made a version of my lemonade and we ate lavender ice cream.

After touring the lavender fields and visiting the craft vendor and listening to the music , it was on to the  fiesta.

I brought this adorable dress for my niece's baby

I have enjoyed this visit with you but it is time for chores.  There is always tomorrow.

Louise




No comments: